Grain-free, sugar-free and dairy-free
Do you miss seeing a stack of pancakes on the brunch table? Now you don’t have to. These grain-free, sugar-free, dairy-free pancakes are the perfect guilt-free treat. They’re easy to make, and the whole family will love them. Yum!
3 large omega-3 eggs
¾ cup almond milk
½ tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup coconut flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of sea salt
¼ cup roughly chopped walnuts
coconut oil, for greasing the skillet (about ¼ cup)
1 pint fresh blueberries
½ cup arrowroot
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and then add the almond milk, lemon juice, and vanilla. Whisk until well-blended. In a separate bowl, mix together the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and arrowroot. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, ¼ cup at a time, while continuously whisking. Once combined, gently fold in the walnuts.
- Grease a large skillet and place over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, use a ladle to pour 3-inch pancakes onto the skillet. Cook until bubbles appear, then flip. The pancake should cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes. Repeat with rest of the batter. Add a tablespoon or more of coconut oil to the hot griddle, as needed.
- Make a blueberry sauce by simmering the blueberries in a small saucepan with 2 tablespoons of water for 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve, place 3 pancakes on a plate and top each stack with the blueberry sauce.
Nutritional information (per serving)
Makes 2-3 servings.
Total Fat 19 g
Protein 12 g
Fiber 14 g
Sugar 14 g
Sodium 416 mg
— Recipe courtesy of Mark Hyman, MD
Recipe: Ginger Spice Smoothie
This creamy, low-carb smoothie is a great way to start your day on the right, energetic foot. An additional benefit is that ginger is great for digestion!
1 1/2 cups almond or cashew milk
2 tablespoons raw almond butter
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 handful baby spinach or greens of choice
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Makes 1 serving
Total fat: 31 g
Saturated fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 13 g
Carbohydrate: 19 g
Sodium: 30 mg
—Recipe courtesy of Mark Hyman, MD.