A heart-healthy accompaniment that works for flounder and ocean trout, too
In this dish, we grill hearty, delicious halibut along with tender asparagus. The bright, zesty sauce combines fresh parsley and cilantro with shallot, lemon and red pepper. Though this dish is loaded with beneficial plant nutrients and nourishing fats and protein, the flavors are what your guests and family will love.
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 a shallot, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
4 4-ounce pieces halibut, flounder or fluke fillet, about 3/4 inch thick
- In a small bowl, stir together the parsley, cilantro, oregano, shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1/8 teaspoon of the salt, the black pepper and the red pepper flakes.
- Heat the grill to medium-high.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons of the oil over the asparagus, and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Toss well.
- Rub the fish with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Grill the asparagus for about 3 minutes, or until tender and charred. Grill the fish for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque throughout.
- Serve the fish with the asparagus, and spoon some herb sauce over the top.
Nutrition information (per serving):
Makes 4 servings
Total fat: 13 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Protein: 27 g
Carbohydrate: 12 g
Dietary fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 3 g
Added sugar: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 170 mg
Recipe developed by Sara Quessenberry for Cleveland Clinic Wellness.