5 Red flags
“If someone close to you expresses concerns about your drinking, examine the consequences,” says Dr. Janesz. He suggests looking for these red flags:
- Loss of control. Intoxication from always drinking more, or drinking faster, than you intend.
- Accidents. The result of alcohol increasing impulsivity as well as fatigue.
- Health troubles. High blood pressure, digestive tract inflammation, weight issues, diabetes, liver disease and more.
- Work worries. Reduced ability to problem-solve, diminished executive functioning in the brain, and decreased strength, stamina and focus.
- People problems. Violent outbursts, infidelity, jealousy, economic insecurity and decreased sexual interest/satisfaction, impacting those you care about.